[AMPS] Tuning Up?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Tuning Up?
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 97 04:54:12 -0800
>In message <19970818022013.AAH142@[205.231.11.55]>, Rich Measures
><measures@vc.net> writes
>>
>>Class AB2 Cathode-Driven Tuneup
>
>> Thus, to
>>accurately tune a grounded-grid linear amplifier apply enough drive to
produce

>>the rated anode current, and alternately tune/load for maximum relative
power
>>output.
>
>Now I know how to *properly* tune up my pair of 3-500Z's   ;-)
>
>So, for a different type of amp using a pair of 4CX800's (a ETO 91b) any
>useful tips out there on tuning?

Grid-driven linear amplfiers require a different tuning method, Andrew.
First off, for acceptable linearity, the grid bias V needs to be set high
enough so that virtually no grid current flows when maximum signal is
applied.  Zero signal anode current [ZSAC] is then set by adjusting
screen potential.  (note:  although ZSAC can be slightly adjusted by
increasing the grid bias V, under no circumstances should the bias V be
set lower so that grid current flows during a maximum signal condition.
-  Instead of using the relative output meter for adjusting the tune and
load adjustments,, one uses the screen current meter to tune and load a
grid-driven linear amplifier.  With max. signal/full drive appled, the
tune and load controls are adjusted until the manufacturer's specified
screen current is indicated when the tank is in resonance.
-  Lighter loading (more C-tune) produces more screen current.  Heavier
screen current peaks.
-  For more information on adjustment of grid-driven linear amplifiers,
see *Amplifiers* on my Web site:
http://www.vcnet.com/measures
-  - A caveat:  If a double-peak or other vagary is observed on the
tuning indicator as the tune C is rotated though resonance, the amplifier
may not be unonditionally VHF-stable.  This applies to both
cathode-driven and grid-driven amplifiers.  Another indicator of marginal
VHF stability is intermittent arcing.  On page 14 in the Trio-Kenwood
TL-922 owner's manual, the term 'normal arcing' is used.  IMO, arcing is
a normal indicator of VHF instability.  There is nothing 'normal' about
arcing.  Some photographs of arced bandswitches are available on my Web
site.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K