[AMPS] Kenwood TL922 help please

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Kenwood TL922 help please
From: jackg@one.net (jeg)
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 18:06:26 +0000
Rich Measures wrote:
> ...snip...
> IMPROVING AMPLIFIER STABILITY
> ...snip...
> If you discover that some of the output-bandswitch wafer contacts are
> burned in your amplifier, you can telephone Kenwood, but their standard
> answer is that "bandswitch contacts can only be burned by the (stupid)
> operator (that's us) rapidly switching the bandswitch while transmitting."
> If you would like to see a photograph of a TL-922 bandswitch which was
> crispy-crittered by intermittent VHF parasitics, see the magazine
> article: "Parasitics Revisited" in the September and October 1990 issues
> of QST. To their credit, QST's staff had no qualms about publishing this
> photograph since they have heard many complaints over the years from
> TL-922 owners who were insulted by Trio-Kenwood factory-service's rotten
> excuse.

I had a Kenwood TS-922A that had a bandswitch arcing problem.
Keying the amp while running VOX would result in an arc
typically once per 20 transmissions.
Upon investigating, I found that the problem was that the RF input
and output DPDT relay was a large, SLOW, contactor style relay that
was energized at the same time as another smaller, faster relay that
controlled the bias and indicator lights.  I replaced the RF
input / output relay with a P&B 3PDT relay, and used the third
pole to switch the bias.
After this change, all bandswitch arcing ceased completely.  I
replaced the burned bandswitch, and never had an arc again over a
period of about 6 years of use with VOX.
IMHO, this problem had nothing to do with parisitic oscillations,
just poor design of the RF and bias switching.

Jack, WB8BFS