[AMPS] Conjugate match

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Conjugate match
From: w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 00:38:19 +0000
Hi Ian.

> In other words, the thing that we carelessly call "output impedance" for
> design purposes is purely FICTIONAL. I think that's why Tom calls it
> "non-dissipative" - because it doesn't actually exist.

It certainly does exist, and it can be measured with simple
equipment.

> The true (and therefore dissipative) output impedance of the device is
> usually much lower than the optimum load impedance, which is what allows
> efficiencies greater than 50%.

Viewed from the output terminals, over 15 PA's tested all produced
maximum power and efficiency for a given amout of drive when
conjuagately matched. That means either a load pull, or excitation
by a  reverse power generator near the operating frequency, indicated
the PA behaved as if the source impedance was the complex conjugate
of the load impedance.

It is an actual impedance with a real part, but the real part is not
dissipative.

73, Tom W8JI