[AMPS] RF Electronics Amp Kit

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RF Electronics Amp Kit
From: phil@two-way.demon.co.uk (philip de cadenet)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 14:15:53 +0100
>>Leon,
>>I run the 8-pill on 160, into a tall Bugcatcher.
>>With a good power supply in the van this rascal smokes em and pushes
>>nearly 1200 Bird watts pep output.
>>Just be ready to sort out the corona!
>>
>>(((73)))
>>
>>Phil  G4ZOW/M
>>
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>Changing the subject slightly, what kind of coverage do you get with
>the 160 meter mobile?  I used to run 75 meter mobile back in the '50s
>and the word was that 160 had even better groundwave coverage.  True?
>Did you have to do anything special for the power supply?  Paralleled
>batteries or some such?  Thanks.
>
>73, Bill W7TI
Hello Bill,

Yes, the daytime groundwave coverage in the middle of the day under max
absorbsion conditions is around 75-100 miles, with the onset of skywave
a big leap to at least 1000 miles.
I have noticed a perculiar propagation during the day when talking to
another high power station that I experience short bursts of very strong
two way signals that can last anywhere between a few seconds to several
minutes. Very similar to meteor scatter!
The power supply is real important and I've done a lot of homework to
get it right. It was also painfully expensive.
In my experience the problem is voltage drop on keydown and RF (at the
1KW + level) getting into the auto electrics.
I've fitted good grounding leads everywhere together with lots of
ferrite rings.
My current amp pulls around 150A on full chat and I'm able to only drop
.3v, down to 14.3v.
My PSU setup is a Leece Neville 200A alternator wired for battery
sensing but feeding a Adverc alternator controller which charges the
batteries to 100% efficiency instead of the typical 60-70%.
The Adverc is similar to your country's Heart Interface controller.
I run a 195A diode splitter to independantly charge the two 210A deep
cycle batteries. I also have a 300A shunt in circuit so can monitor
current pull from the alternator, also measure voltage on each battery.
This is constantly on a LCD display on the dash.
I run two Bird 43's side by side for vswr and power out and a seperate
Field Strengh meter to a sense antenna on the rear of the van (not ideal
but better than nothing).
I was going to upgrade to a 3CX3000A7 in the van but have some plasma
generator amp boards with 8 FET's on each that run at 50v.
My intention is to strap four of these boards together to give me 5-6KW
out but even now I have to tackle my current corona problems.
This is homebrew heaven.

Good luck

(((73)))

Phil  G4ZOW/M
Do you think they'll hear me in CA, I'd like to bend a few doors?