[AMPS] Re:Two questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re:Two questions
From: Peter.Chadwick@gpsemi.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 11:44:16 +0100
I notice George's first question is still unanswered.

>two questions occurred to me while catching up on
>my e-mail reading:

>1:  "gain is mu*rp" ??? how??? gain is "mu" isn't it?
>i.e.  Vout/Vin = gain = mu;
>or... gain = gm*rp, but not a mixture of the two!

>gain is dimensionless:  mu is dimensionless:
>gm is a (trans)conductance with the units of inverse
>ohms:  rp is expressed in ohms:  gm*rp = dimensionless

Let's define terms - we've got into enough trouble on this reflector by
having words mean different things to different people.

 mu (amplification factor) is  dVp/dVg  (where d is a Greek delta,
meaning a very small change). Similarly, gm (mutual conductance) is
dIp/dVg and rp (plate resistance) is dVp/dIp..........Vp is plate
voltage, Ip is plate current, Vg is grid volts.

The signal voltage at the plate is  Vin*gm* [ rp*rl/rp+rl]   where *
means 'times'.
rl is load resistance and rp is plate resistance

(I do wish you could guarantee e-mail to support equations!)

So the gain is Vo/Vin = gm* [ rp*rl/rp+rl]

The model is a current generator of Vin*gm with two resistors, rl and rp
in parallel across it.

But gm*rp = mu so gain is mu*rl/(rp + rl)

Does that clear it up George?

73

Peter G3RZP