[AMPS] Buying a new one

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Buying a new one
From: lmfoot@global.co.za (Leon M Foot)
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 09:31:50 -0700
I am in the market for a new linear. Maybe not tomorrow, but hopefully
soon thereafter. Keeping in mind the following:
1. We in ZS-land have a limit of 400 Watt PEP (150 on CW) at present -
hopefully this will change to 1000 Watts soon;
2. Our exchange rate is 4.7 rands to 1 US$ - this makes a $1000 linear
equal to much more than a months salary.
Of course I would like an Alpha or similar, but to be realistic I was
looking at the bottom end of the market, like linears using 811 tubes,
or 1 or 2 3-500Z tubes.
What should I look out for?
One or two tubes? (unless it's 811 - then it is 3 or 4)
A smaller tube with a higher drive or a bigger tube with say 40W drive?
What should I look for if I go for a second hand unit?

Would like to hear your comments based on years of experience.

73 de Leon ZS4Y