[AMPS] RE:two questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RE:two questions
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 97 01:19:51 -0800
>> From:          Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>
>I wrote:
>> >If you look at N7WS's data, and his conclusions, the stock AL-80B
>> >suppressor is essentially equal to the nichrome model near
>> >the frequency where stability is a problem, although the stock
>> >suppressor does lower SYSTEM Q at VHF slightly more than the
>> >nichrome replacement.
>
>Rich replied:
>> Good advice, Mr. Rauch.  I looked.  How could Wes have been measuring
>> 'SYSTEM Q'?
>
>System Q can be calculated from the parallel impedance ...

'parallel impedance'?  In the Rauchian World, apparently yes.  In the
rest of the universe, its parallel admittance.  .

>... value of the
>suppressor components, and the knowledge of the rest of the system's
>impedance.

Wes, N7WS,  did not do this.

RE:  "...although the stock suppressor does lower SYSTEM Q at VHF
slightly more than the nichrome replacement."
- .According to Wes' measurements, the resistance-wire (nichrome)
suppressor had a Q of 0.8 at 150MHz, and the 'conventional' W8JI
copper-wire suppressor had a Q of 1.3 at 150MHz.  How does adding a
higher Q suppressor lower the 'System Q' more?

 Apparently, in the Rauchian World, things are not always what they seem
to be.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K