[AMPS] suppressors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] suppressors
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 97 03:34:26 -0800
>Rich,
>
>>The (voltage-amplification) gain formula only works with the parallel
>>load on the anode, which is a quantity far-removed from what one sees in
>>the Ls/Rs suppressor.
>

>Any two terminal network can be described at any frequency except zero
>in terms of either its impedance in terms of R series and X series, or R
>parallel and X parallel. The choice between the two, and the use of
>admittance rather than impedance, is merely to make the calculations
>easier.

As i understand it, in the Parallel World there are no R, and no X ohms.
Instead, there are G (conductance) and B (susceptance) siemens - which
results in Y (conductance) siemens instead of Z (impedance) ohms, as
would the case in the Series World.  The stumbling block/'gotcha'/pitfall
 is that, even though Y=1/Z, the process of conversion is not quite that
simple.  For me at least, I still like to open the book for
re-enforcement when I do one.

IMO, there would be less confusion if, instead of labeling a parallel
Ls/Rs suppressor as 70nH and 100 ohms, it were labeled as 70nH and 0.01
siemens.

>>However, the effect is only apparent after one does the somewhat
>>labor-intensive calculations necessary to arrive at Rp. ... ...  "Sums"
these are not, Peter.

>'Sums' is a term with a wide range of meanings, Rich.....

agreed.  On this side of the pond, the range of meanings is somewhat less
impressive, Peter.
cheers
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K