[AMPS] 3-500Z vs 3-500ZG

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3-500Z vs 3-500ZG
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:04:05 EDT
On Wed, 10 Sep 1997 20:50:03 -0500 w5hvv@aeneas.net (Rod Fitz-Randolph)
writes:
>Not sure about the 3-500ZG designation but I am referring to the
>graphite plate 3-500s.
>
>My friend, WA4VWR, needs to replace a 3-500Z in his SB-220.  He
>doesn't
>believe he should just replace one single 3-500Z with a 3-500ZG but
>he wants to know,

It is usually not a good idea to mix different types/brands of tubes. It
CAN be done but  the potential for problems are there.

 if he replaces both of his Eimac 3-500Zs with the
>3-500ZGs, will he get less than, the same as, or more rf output with
>the exact same driving power?  It's a good question that I certainly
>didn't have the background to answer.

Probably more output since the original tubes could be expected to be
down a bit on emission. In any case the difference between the amp when
new and the replacement graphites will be negligible.

>Is there someone out there that may have replaced the 3-500Zs in a
>SB-220
>or a Drake L4B that can answer the question for him.

Done it many, many times.

>Also, (on my own), is there only a single graphite-plate 3-500
>manufacturer
>and, if there is more than one, which one has the best
>reputation/track
>record?

Amperex is one brand. There are also now some Chinese versions which are
every bit as good at much less cost.  Private E-Mail me for more info.

73....Carl   KM1H