[AMPS] My SB-220 smoked today too!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] My SB-220 smoked today too!
From: standard@pcs.mb.ca (Gary Smith)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 18:56:21 -0500
I've been following the thread this week regarding the SB-220 saga, and it
must have cursed mine.

First of all, the amps been working 100% up to now.  No mods have been done
and the 3-500Z's were replaced a few years ago with a pair of Eimac's.
I reached over and threw on the power switch, with the amp in the tune (low
voltage) position as I usually do.  The exciter was in receive mode, as I
scanned around 20m to see who was around.  I smelt the smoke at first,
looked over at the plate current meter, and it was sitting at .3 amps.  I
didnt' get a chance to look at the grid current before I powered off the
Heathkit, but there was a faint sizzle noise also.
One of the tubes has a dark black line down the crease inside the tube, and
a light brown mark on the inside of the glass accross from it.  The high
voltage wires that pass the filter caps inside a clear plastic tube, appear
OK, but the plastic is burnt as it passes one of the shorting resistors.
The rectifier metering board has a large burn mark under one of the diodes,
plus it looks a little black at the other end where the high voltage lead
departs.
I'll replace the tube, and was thinking of new caps and metering / rect.
board anyway.
What got it?  Inrush  current?  Tube failure? Filter cap?
Just curious on the chain of events.

Gary Smith VE4YH