[AMPS] Henry K-2000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Henry K-2000
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 17:20:03 EDT
On Mon, 06 Oct 1997 18:33:03 -0700 Aina Husdal/Magnus Pedersen
<ainahu@stud.ntnu.no> writes:
>Hello!
>
>As a newcomer to this reflector i havent seen much of the discussions
>going son, so maybe my request is a
>duplicate of somebody else's ?!
>
>I am looking for a new (for me) HF-PA, as my old KW-1000 need to be
>replaced. A local ham is offering me to buy
>his old Henry K-2000. As the salesman he is, he told me that this is
>the best amplifier you can buy HI.
>
>The amplifier is in good(?) shape, but need a new pair of tubes
>(8873). Are theese tubes easily available and
>at what prices?

The 8873 was used by Henry and Heathkit (SB-230) and I do not think
anything else.
Current prices for new tubes are around $500 each !!  since they are so
seldom used.
IMO, I would stay very far away from that amp and look for a L-4B, L-7,
SB-220, TL-922  or similar amp with a pair of 3-500Z's.

 Can other tubes be used in this construction?

Not without a lot of work.

Have seen in an Eimac catalog that theese tubes
>are rated 200W, but my friend told me that the amplifier would easily
>do 1 KW output...

That is about right. The 8873 is a conduction cooled version of the 8874.
The main problem is heat transfer to the heatsink and then enough air to
keep the heatsink cool.

>Maybe somebody can exchange tubes with me, as i have 4-1000A,
>4CX1500B, 4X150A and 4CX250B's all brand new.
>(Collected for the homebrew power-amp project that i cant find any
>time to build HI)
>
>Also he told me that this version has roller-inductor in the output
>network, so that you can work all the
>HF-bands including WARC. What is the reliability of such a system
>compared to a switched coil.

Not very good with that family of tubes since the grids are very fragile.
Intermittents in the roller coil can create all kinds of problems.

73  Carl   KM1H