[AMPS] Early 3CX800A7 Specs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Early 3CX800A7 Specs
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 97 10:38:54 -0800
>Does anyone have the first release Eimac sheet?  The one that shows the
>HV above 2250V max and 600 ma Ip.
>I have the 8/89 specs which references 4/87 but I believe there is an
>earlier version which was quickly pulled back due to FCC intervention.
>
>I wonder just how much this tube was really "designed for" ?
>
>Tnx  Carl  KM1H

Rumour has it that it will do 800mA in SSB service.  However, I would be
reluctant to go with a brick on the key test at more than 600mA.  Rumour
also has it that the rated warmup is a bit on the low side.  An extra
half minute might be worth the wait.

In regards to FCC intervention:  IMO, this is unsliced bologna.  Tube
specs are not part of FCC type acceptance.
-  The FCC currently could not care less what hams run Provided that we
do Not Cause Interference.  The last ham to get in trouble for running
more than 1500w was causing interference to one of his neighbor's music
systems.  The neighbor happened to be an FCC field inspector -- the same
one who wrote the citation, no less.  . The moral to the story is:  It
might not be a really great idea to run 22kW every night on 75m ssb in a
housing tract.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K