[AMPS] AL-572 info

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-572 info
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 97 13:15:07 -0800
>Just received some interesting paper today.
>It appears that our illustrious Ameritron-MFJ engineer is using Rich's
>ideas in the new Ameritron AL-572 amp ( four 572B's).
>
>The schematic indicates the grids are NOT grounded as we have been led to
>believe is the "best way". Instead they use 1000pf caps and 51 Ohm
>resistors to ground for each tube.
>
>Gee Whiz; Golly Gee.... maybe Collins, Heathkit and Rich were right after
>all; or at least on the right track ????
>
>73  Carl  KM1H

OTOH, maybe they are ALL on the wrong track, and the self-declared
'expert' in Georgia is right?
-  Seriously, I don't believe that a G-G amplifier becomes substantively
more VHF-stable with some of the intrinsic grid L being tuned out with a
series capacitor to ground.  IMO, better stability happens in the anode
circuit by lowering VHF-Rp / VHF-Q.
-   The 51 ohm resistor in the grid current path Might be useful as a
fusing device for a 572B or 811A- provided it is a 1/2 watt carbon film
type.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K