[AMPS] AL-1500

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-1500
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 20:16:26 EST
On Sun, 30 Nov 1997 08:55:08 -0500 "David R. Ward" <daveward@snet.net>
writes:
>Please forgive a "newbee" question for this reflector, but could I get
>some feedback on the AL-1500? Durability, usability, value, etc.? I
>would like an amp with the 8877 but doubt very much that I could build
>one because of some limitations on my part. All feedback, positive or
>negative would be helpful. Thanks fellas. de W1DRW

I'm sure that you will get a ton of free advice about gold and parasitics
Dave but in general the AL-1500 is a decent amp that has had any bugs
removed over the past 15+ years it has been in production.
Now.....unless you are really limited in drive I would suggest the
AL-1200. Both will do well over 2200W out but the 3CX1200 in the -1200 is
a lot more rugged tube.  It just needs a full 100W for the 1500W out
wheras the -1500 will do that with 60-70W.

Except for the tube virtually everything else ( add grid-trip for the
fragile 8877 in the -1500) in either amp is identical.

I DO NOT sell either amp!

GL   Carl   KM1H