[AMPS] Problem solved - TL922 went dead

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Problem solved - TL922 went dead
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 97 07:45:24 -0800
>Hi,
>
>a few days ago I posted a question regarding a KENWOOD TL922 amplifier
>where tuning was very strange on most bands, more precise, the LOAD
>control was most of the time on the fully left position (smallest C)(SWR
>on the antennas was ok!).
>
>I got four replies, Charley - W1TE was right: The problem was the small
>choke in the grid circuit. This choke burned away, making one tube
>intermittant before failure... This changed the input and output
>impeadences and required retuning...
>
>So have a look at this choke if you have a similar problem (soon?!).
>
>Regards, Carsten - DL6LAU

-  A grid/ground RF choke that is rated to carry 1A suddenly fails.  The
copper wire suddenly melts in two at the instant when a noise is heard .
//  Does it seem likely the normal 3-500Z grid current could have sent
the 1A choke to Kaputsville? .  . Hmmm.
{Twilight Zone theme}
 .  .  What if:
1.  The amplifier oscillated at it's anode resonance of 130MHz.
2.  There was no path of escape for the resultant kilowatt or so of
130MHz energy -- due to the low-pass characteristic of the HF tank
circuit.
3.  Since there was virtually no VHF load on the possibly-oscillating
3-500Z high-Mu triodes, the grid current temporarily became too much for
the choke to handle.
4.  High grid current caused high EM force on the hot (1800 degree C)
tungsten filament -- which caused the filament  to bend and short against
the grid.  (see page 15 in the September 1990 issue of *QST*, "Parasitics
Revisited".)

 Murphy said 'nothing is as easy as it looks'.

Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K