[AMPS] Yet more parasitics

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Yet more parasitics
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:31:08 EST
On Tue, 11 Nov 1997 11:21:43 -0700 John Lyles <jtml@lanl.gov> writes:
>OK, it's perfectly fine to have such a diversity of thought on
>parasitic
>suppressors and on parasitic generation itself. By the way, I have
>built
>VHF solid state power amplifiers where they oscillate at LF. These are
>the
>bane of bipolar power amplfiers, as the LF beta is high, and
>inadequate
>bypassing and decoupling networks on the collector and base bias can
>cause
>it to want to take off a KHz to low MHz.

That is assuming the manufacturers even use bias John!
The lack of adequate bias circuits for linear operation of  the majority
of VHF-UHF brick amps is a sore point with many users. It appears that
only Teletec is using an active circuit that holds up under all drive
conditions.
Thankfully, decent circuits have been published allowing a gradual
clean-up of signals.
I have it on good authority that a major brick manufacturer will soon
follow suit.

>It's a paradoxical that with tube amplifiers it's just the opposite!
>Get
>them to work at HF, and they want to oscillate at VHF/UHF. The
>principles
>are, of course, different due to the large structures involved with
>tube
>circuitry.
>
>In the present amplifier I am developing using 150-250 Kw tetrodes,

You must have as much fun at your job as Eric does with antennas! It must
be nice!
 I get the feeling from your post that the driver circuits for those big
tetrodes are now SS ??
I think Tom nailed it right on the head when he predicted the demise of
first glass tubes and then small ceramic ones in this country.  I sure
hope the Russians dont follow the sneaker crowd.....$2 to make a Nike in
Indonesia and sells for $100 here .

Enjoy your posts...Carl   KM1H