[AMPS] autoxfmrs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] autoxfmrs
From: Peter.Chadwick@gpsemi.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 14:41:49 -0000
Carl says
>How about when used in "buck mode" ?

Don't know exactly. Used one in a big tx when I was a lad at Marconi's
in the mid sixties - it was a 3Amp 22Kv PSU, with a 25KV + xfmr. We had
an autoxfmr to step down the 415v/phase to about 340 with no problems,
but it was not a Variac. It also weighed, as I remember, about 1500lbs,
and was on wheels - once it started rolling, it wasn't easy to stop. We
were using it on a TWT, so the dynamic regulation wasn't so much of a
problem, but it wasn't too bad. Choke input with a 24mFd paper capacitor
on the output.

I also don't ever remember us checking for X radiation.........

73

G3RZP