[AMPS] matching

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] matching
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 13:54:13 +0000
Peter Chadwick wrote:
>When we were discussing this matter here a few weeks ago, Tom indicated
>(although I may have misunderstood him) that the the output impedance is
>a 'non dissipative resistance'.

"Resistive, but not dissipative" would be closer to the mark.

The article uses the term "impedance" in the sense of being the ratio of
voltage/current observed at a particular location. To the extent that V
and I are in phase, this impedance is resistive - but it doesn't have to
be dissipative.

There are many other examples of resistive but non-dissipative
impedances. The characteristic impedance of a transmission line is one
of them. Another example is that you can measure V, I and phase at
various locations along a transmission line, and deduce values of
impedance - but no power dissipation is taking place at those locations.

One other thought: before anybody judges this article on the basis of
personalities, don't forget the reputations of the other two authors,
namely Belrose and Maxwell.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek