[AMPS] Re: Hunter 750

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Hunter 750
From: w5hvv@aeneas.net (Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph)
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 17:57:33 -0600
>A friend has the 2000B which puts out 1000W out on all bands
>but as I remember only 700 to 800W out on 10.  Hunter (as many
>other amps) did not have the right PA tank values for 10.  I
>have a Dentron 2000L which I finally modified to get 1100W out
>on 10...before 600W out on a bird at max.
I owned a Hunter 2000B.  One of its problems was that the plate
choke showed series resonance in or near both the 10 meter and
15 meter band.  I replaced the wire in the choke with a size
larger (From no. 24 to no. 22, as best I can remember) and the
series resonance moved above 10 meters.  My power out on 10 meters
jumped up from 600 watts to well over 1,000 watts.  I also changed
the biasing system by putting a 50 watt zener between ground and
the center tap on the filament transformer, as I recall.  It was
a humpin' machine for years thereafter.

Rod, N5HV
w5hvv@aeneas.net