[AMPS] Amp Supply LK 800

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amp Supply LK 800
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 14:59:57 EST
On Sat, 06 Dec 1997 17:22:13 +0000 Al Crespo <nh7a@MCI2000.com> writes:
>Have a LK 800 with a problem After it has goes  through the 3 minute
>warm up
>period, it then clicks over for about 5 seconds to it's correct mode,
>and
>then goes to transmit mode, drawing about 50 mils on the plate. I
>can't key
>the linear or get it to go to the receive mode.
>    Also, the cabinet was measured with about 60 volts on it. This
>unit has
>the separate power source, using a 110 and 220 plug setup that Omega ,
>K4BWC, has set up the last time this puppy blew up.
>    Maui is a long way from Omega. Before I ship it off, anybody got
>any
>ideas?

Ive sold in the past and worked on MANY of those amps. They are usually
quite simple to fix.
I would first try removing one tube at a time and then go thru the power
up cycle. The symptoms you describe could be tube related. Stuff a paper
towel or similar in the empty hole to maintain air flow.  Just watch
where you place the plate clamp!
I dont know what Bill at Omega did with the wiring but I would NEVER run
that puppy on 110VAC unless it was strictly to isolate the filament and
HV ckts so the filaments could run with the HV off. The HV xfmr should
always be on 220/240V.

If you want to chat privately on the LL, let me know and I'll give you
the #.

73   Carl   KM1H      We FIX any amp !