[AMPS] parasitic suppressors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] parasitic suppressors
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 97 19:14:56 -0800

>----------

-   Does it seem likely that Rich would put his finger on a #16 gauge
wire carrying15a at 28MHz?   I was talking about 15A DC.  Where would the
average guy see 15A of 28MHz current in a VHF suppressor?  In a 3-500Z
amplifier, with a 3000V supply, the AC anode potential is about 1800Vrms.
 The capacitive reactance between the anode and ground is roughly1090
ohms at 29MHz.  The current through Rs-Ls is therefore 1600v/1090 ohms =
1.47A-rms.  The current through Ls is probably about 1A.  Does it make
sense that this amount of current would generate enough heat in 16-ga
wire to toast Rs?

>Even #12
>gets hot. That's why we use 3/16" to 5/32" tubing at 28 MHz.
>
> It's a sure bet that Rich would not mention
>this is a possible heat source.
With copper conductor material, Rich would not mention that this is a
possible heat source in the suppressor of a typical 1500w amplifier --
because it isn't.

>>The above would usually show a gradual increase in R.
>>
>This seems unlikely considering the apparent lack of heat.
Indeed.
>...snip...

Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K