[AMPS] HV glitch resistor/fuse?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV glitch resistor/fuse?
From: w4eto@rmii.com (richard w. ehrhorn)
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 22:07:03 -0700
On Wednesday Dec 10 1997 km1h wrote:
.

>Which brings up another interesting question....Why doesnt the plate
>choke open up during these Big Bangs?  A #28 wire should not survive if
>the reasons we keep hearing are true. Food for thought.

Before we learned the hard way (it wasn't in the 3CX1000A
data sheet in 1970) about the need for "glitch" resistors to
limit fault current, tube arcs usually DID **EXPLODE** the
#28 wire in the B&W 800 rf anode chokes we were using.

I distinctly remember a couple hundred half-turns of wire
scattered throughout the rf section - figured it must be the
magnetic field created that blew the thing into nice symmetrical
pieces of basically UNBURNED wire.

73,   DIck W0ID