[AMPS] RF Applications VSWR Meter

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RF Applications VSWR Meter
From: wx8l@home.com (Sean McCarthy)
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 17:25:53 -0500
Gary,

A friend of mine just bought (and subsequently sold) a P-3000. He and I both
did not like the operation of the meter, it was of little use for tuning up,
and the readings seemed suspect after installing the 5K chip. The digital
readout jumps in rather large steps due to its 256 step
reading scheme.

The P-100 is a much nicer looking package but has two "faults" that I can
see. One is the scaling. Unlike most meters, it is scaled linear, and lower
power levels are lost below the 50% mark. I could live with this, as you can
select your slugs accordingly. The second, and most critical problem, is it
is a "peak-hold" ONLY meter, making tuneup impossible. They incorrectly
state the delay to be adjustable in their ad's, when in fact it is the
length of time the SWR trip function holds when tripped. I have been in
contact with them about this for several months. They seem to think they
could mod one for adjustable hold time, but they NEVER return my calls or
email. They have also promised a 5000 watt version of the P-2000, which I
actually had ordered back at Dayton 97, but it has failed to materialize
despite their insistence its a "week away" from delivery.

In short, all their products just miss the mark (IMHO)

Good Luck,
Sean