[Fwd: [AMPS] Contemplating Building of First amp]

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Fwd: [AMPS] Contemplating Building of First amp]
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 98 19:15:09 -0800

To: <amps@contesting.com>
>Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:56:07 -0500
>From: Doug Person <DougPerson@ibm.net>
>To: Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>Subject: Re: [AMPS] Contemplating Building of First amp
>
>To Rich and and everyone else who responded to my post: Thanks!
ur welcome
>Rich, Thanks for your offer of some tubes.  My concerns about the
>5-150B are the 4KV needed to feed it and the possibility that someday
>they may go soft and need replacing.
ok
>They seem well-suited to what I'm interested in doing otherwise.
>Looks like an easy 700 watts out on SSB.

>Having done a little research, I was wondering what you thought of
>the 4CX400A.
looks good according to the spec sheet, however, I never used one.
>Looks to be able to deliver 600 watts with 2.5KV
>on the plate.
I have a suitable oil filled filter capacitor if u need one.
>I also note that Svetlana now makes an 812 tube.  Not sure how they
>compare to 811's, but recall they are a hotter version of the same.
the 812 is similar, but has a substantially lower Mu.
>I am most interested in the 4CX400A, or perhaps there is another
>tube even more suitable.  The 4CX400A looks to need 2.5KV at 400ma
>to deliver 600 Watts (ICAS).  It is certainly more effcient than
>811's or 572B's.
doubtful.  Triodes have a lower minimum peak anode v capability than
tetrodes.
>Is anyone aware of a project similar to this that I might reference
>as a starting point?  I have a lot to learn about power supplies
>and output circuits, and I'm determined to learn it.
*Amplifiers* talks about using small tetrodes. However, no exact plans
for a specific amplifier project are given.
www.vcnet.com/measures

cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K