[AMPS] Filter Capacitors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Filter Capacitors
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 98 08:53:58 -0800
>I have an old BTI LK2000 (3-1000Z) amp whose filter caps (240mfd at
>450wvdc, Mallory CG241T450V4C) have bit the dust.
You need to replace them with a higher total WV, which means more
capacitors than stock.  Doing this requires building a replacement cap
mtg. board to cover the existing space.
-  I would go for a total minimum WV of 4000, or 2kWV per leg for the
BTI's fullwave doubler.
-   Mouser 1 800 346 6873 or DigiKey 1 800 344 4539. carry such
capacitors.  For longest life, use 105 deg C rated caps.  The least
stressful way to mount electrolytics is with silicone rubber adhesive on
a plexiglas or g10 sheet, terminals up.  Leave a an air gap between
capacitors.  Matsushita/Panasonic100k ohm 3w MOF resistors make good
equalizer resistors, and they will not make enough heat to bake out the
caps as would be likely with fewer ohms.  .
>Anyone know of a
>source for replacements at a reasonable cost?  Suggestions for
>substitutes?
The newer design, more compact, electrolytics will allow you to use more
total C, even though you will be using more units.

cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K