[AMPS] RF choke question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RF choke question
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 17:46:40 EST
Measuring chokes on the bench will only confuse you. There has been a bit
written recently about the "old wives" version of checking chokes.
The AL80A ..late version or the B will be fine in your SB1000 clone. What
you see when it is installed is not what you see via the QST level of
"ingeerineering" by a thankfully SK....

GL  Carl  KM1H

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998 13:53:58 -0800 Vic Rosenthal <rakefet@rakefet.com>
writes:
>Recently, I became concerned that the hommemade plate choke in my
>SB-1000 had series
>resonances near some of the bands.  I thought that was responsible for
>the fact that
>I was unable to get full output on the higher bands -- for example,
>while I easily
>got 800+ watts out on 40 and 750 on 20, I could only get about 600w on
>15 meters, and
>less on 10.  The homemade choke had a primary resonance at about 17.2
>mHz, and lots
>of little ones scattered about above that.
>
>The way I measure this is to short the choke (removed from the
>amplifier), and then
>use a GDO to look for resonances.  I'm coupling a counter to the GDO
>to be sure of
>the frequency.
>
>Anyway, I ordered a replacement AL-80B choke from Ameritron.  Before
>installing it, I
>decided to see where it was resonant -- imagine my surprise to find a
>big primary
>series resonance at about 21.2 mHz!
>
>Now, before I do anything, I want to get some advice.
>
>1) Am I measuring the resonance point properly?  Should the choke be
>installed in the
>amp?  If so, should it be connected to the plate and other circuitry
>or just sitting
>there?  (obviously the power will be OFF!)
>
>2)  If I have measured it correctly, then probably I should take a few
>turns off of
>the new choke to move the resonance point away from the band.  What
>frequency should
>I aim for?  I don't want to reduce the inductance too much, or it will
>mess up
>160-meter performance.
>
>This choke seems superior to my homemade one because it only has one
>big resonance.
>The old one has a number of them.  However, I really want to do it
>right this time!
>
>Vic K2VCO
>
>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]