[AMPS] SB-201; 4 Band Amplifier

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-201; 4 Band Amplifier
From: perring@texas.net (Bob Perring)
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 09:02:41 -0600
I recently obtained an SB-201 which was built during the 4 band time
period of amplifier sales resulting from FCC mind think on elimination
of CB amplifier use of HAM amplifiers.

IN ORDER TO GET THIS AMP ON 10 METERS
And get it working, in general, I need to locate the following:

1.
Bandswitch output and driver input circuit switch only has 4 positions,
so I need to locate a new set of wafers for 5 band conversion.
A set of wafers for output tank taps and a set for input circuits will
be needed.

2.
Input L-C networks mount to the back panel of the amp and the panel is
only drilled for four circuits. This can be changed pretty easily by
drilling a new mount hole and installing the components.

3.
15 Meter output tank has been tapped for a 10 meter position by
somebody with a blow torch and a piece of copper strap, but wired all
wrong for operation on either 15 or 10. (Interesting conversion of a 4
band amp into a 3 band amp)
This is an easy fix and clean-up.

4. TO MAKE THIS THING A 5 BAND  AMPLIFIER, I NEED.............

FOR 5 BAND CONVERSION:
AA)   Wafers for the input and output 5 bandswitch positions.
BB)   Adjustable "L" for 10 meter input.

GENERAL AMP CONSTRUCTION:
Cleanup of bad solder techniques,
AA)   EBS circuit board will be added to run the transformer cooler
BB)   Low Voltage Switch board will be added for the T-R relay for less
stress on
           xcvr rerlay contacts.
CC)    Top plate (missing) which screws down on top of all the various
cabinet
            cavities for chamber isolation and TVI reduction.

Does anybody out there know of any source for any of these components?

After getting these items and re-building, I think the tubes might show
to be all OK, but I will still go ahead and add the EBS circuit to the
amp and add the voltage drop down on the relay circuitry.

If the wafers are not available, all I can do is clean the unit up, fix
the butchered 10/15 "no" band conversion and sell this thing.

The amp is only to be used as a drag along throw down amp for away from
home contest operations.

73,
Bob
N5RP