Thanks to all who replied to my recent inquiry. As requested by some,
here is a brief summary of the responses:
1. The addition of step start/inrush protection eliminates the CLUNK
sound produced when the amp is turned on. The newer AL-80B comes with
2. The circuit appearing in QST Hints & Kinks (June 1996 at page 69)
appears to work well. It is easy to install and inexpensive.
3. AG6K has another simple circuit at www.vcnet.com/measures. He uses a
12vdc relay which eliminates any tendency of a 120vac relay to buzz.
4. The external Ameritron ICP-240 step start also works well. It
connects between the amp and the wall outlet. Power to the amp is
controlled by a switch on the ICP-240, and the power switch on the amp is
left ON all the time.
5. A time delay relay could also be installed. These were reported to
be available for about $20 at Hosfelt Electronics (800-5240-6464).
6. Another idea was to install a zero current relay (available at HVAC
and electrical supply houses).
Thanks again for your help.
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
FAQ on WWW: http://www.contesting.com/ampfaq.html
Administrative requests: amps-REQUEST@contesting.com