[AMPS] Drive unit

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Drive unit
From: w7iuv@axtek.com (Larry Molitor)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 02:47:08 +0100
Can anyone help out with a possible source for a drive assembly to fit a
Jennings UCSLPA-750? I finally got around to doing a hi-pot on it, so now I
guess I should use the thing. If I could find a drive unit soon, it could
go in the project on the bench now.

In regards to the recent discussion about "no tune" amps, I once had the
fortune to sit in on a lecture given by one of the guys from Central
Electronics. This was back about 1961, and he discused the design criteria
for the 813 amplifier they had. It ran 500 watts in with 10 watts of drive
I believe. It was made to run with the CE 10B and 20A exciters of that
period. I was able to closely examine the tank components and as I remember
it, they were compensated air core transformers. Similiar units were used
at the grid as well as the plate tank. With only one bandswitch knob on the
panel, it was pretty radical for that era.

73,

Larry - W7IUV
w7iuv@axtek.com
www.axtek.com/w7iuv/