[AMPS] Cap arcs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cap arcs
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John Lyles)
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:18:49 -0600
Dick's (WOID) comments about plate alignment and dirt are very valid
reasons for cap arcovers.
We bought some aluminum capacitors made by (name omitted here) for tuning
and then we got some surplus Hammurlund caps that were carved out of a hunk
of brass. The mechanical differences were quite obvious, that the type with
Al plates that are pressed into a grooved shaft are hard to align and keep
so.
Also there is always that end play and bearing wear.

This is one of the reasons that we try to use Vacuum caps in large rigs,
that use handled tubes. Now the arc over is limited to air spacing between
components and the walls, if the amp get's unloaded. It is not amusing to
see a 5 inch flaming arc from the inductor to ground.

I am still sore from installing an 80 lb tetrode in our new amplifier
yesterday. Took 3 guys on ladders to get it into the socket for the first
look at it.

John
K5PRO