[AMPS] L-4B Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] L-4B Question
From: MALEXANDER@HEALTHDYNE.com (MALEXANDER@HEALTHDYNE.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 09:57:10 -0400
Hi, Joe:

Of course, with all amps you want to check the bandswitch contacts for
charcoal and the tuning cap for pitting and rough edges.  Look at the
tube chimneys -- are they crusty and dirty?  If so, you will probably be
springing for some new tubes before too long...Is the inside of the amp
dusty and grimey?  Talk 'em down on the price.  If it is possible, ask
the seller to fire it up for you.  If you're picky on your selection
criteria, you should be able to get an excellent amp for around $650.

I run an L-4B which I purchased for $600.  It is mint with the original
tubes.  I sprung for a Dahl hipersil-core transformer, replaced some
resistors in the power supply with metal oxides, added a muffin fan and
the thing runs at 1500+ watts on all bands except 10m -- where I rarely
use an amp anyway.  It is an extremely stable, rugged and forgiving
amplifier.  I plan to convert another L-4B deck for a 160m-only
amplifier, using the same power supply.  --That's YOUR cue, gents on the
reflector....I will be needing some of your experience and advice here
before long  {;^]

Best of luck and 73 TU

Mitch Alexander KG9DB