[AMPS] QRO HF-2000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] QRO HF-2000
From: wiley@interaccess.com (William Gode)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 18:50:54 -0500
>QRO products seem to be rather scarce so your input is most welcome.
>I have a few questions....
>
>What exactly does the 17 and 12M switch positions select? Independent
>input networks? Independent output taps?

The WARC positions select both independent input networks and independent
output taps. (No 30 meter position!)

>My biggest concern when I looked the QRO over at Dayton is the muffin fan
>that blows over the two 3-500's that are in line. Perhaps someone can
>explain how the second tube in line gets adequate cooling at the 1500W
>level??

Yes, that bothered me, too.  QRO claims the single fan at the end of
the tube compartment pressurizes the entire space and provides adequate
air flow to cool both tubes in SSB or CW service.  For heavy-duty use
they recommend an external muffin fan on top of the cabinet to pull out
more air.  I haven't found it necessary to use an external fan, but I
only use it "full-bore" for working new ones, not contesting.

I can say that the HF-2000 runs much cooler than my Henry 2K-4, or
Drake L-4B and is barely noisier than my PC.  The only thing I did was
to add a pair of Eimac heat-dissipating plate connectors as I didn't
think much of directly connecting the parasitic suppressor strapping
to the plate pins with a simple loop and machine screw retention.

QRO has a review of the HF-2000 on their web site.  My experiences and
feelings pretty well echo that review.

73,

Bill, W9NHQ