[AMPS] 3CX3000A7 Filamen Choke

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3CX3000A7 Filamen Choke
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 4 May 98 19:36:08 -0800
>>G'day from Down Under,
>>                                   Our current project is a 3CX3000A7 GG
>>amplifier. We have built the power supply and are now starting the main
>>grunt department. The amp will be a monobander for 20m, with a possibility
>>of changing tank coils to operate other bands but that may come later.
>>
>>The question is the filament choke. The filament runs 7.5V @ 50A and we
>>were wondering how to wind a suitable choke. What we have in mind is to
>>tape 3 or 5 ferrite rods (3/8" diam is all that is avail in Australia) and
>>winding the HEAVY DUTY bifilar coil around the bundle so that we have a
>>decent diameter to wind the thick wire onto.
>
>Hi guys,
>
>I don't know if bundling ferrite rods will work, but here is a suggestion
>that I learned from some other people out here on the mail reflector:
>
>If you wish you can just skip the chokes on the secondary of your
>filament transformer and let it be at RF potential.  Then you wind
>smaller, low current chokes for the 120 or 240 Volt lines on the primary
>of the transformer.  The only thing you really care about is keeping the
>RF out of your power supply.
>
>If you do run the transformer at RF potential you MUST, MUST, MUST float
>the transformer.  DO NOT ground the case.

Also, one needs to bypass the primary and secondary windings to the core
so that there is no RF potential between the windings.  The transforner
can be mounted on a piece of 0.125" thick epoxy-glass [G10] board.  The
core to gnd capacitance figures in the C2 tuned input values  on the
higher bands.  20uH of L is plenty for 160m-10m coverage.  More L is not
mo-betta.

>The advantage here is that you only have to wind small chokes for the 1.6
>Amps or so at 240 Volts.  That's a BIG difference.

Winding with #22 is a bit easier than winding with bar-stock.

>Hope this helps.
>
>73,
>
>Jon
>KE9NA