[AMPS] Re: Parasitics

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Parasitics
From: jono@webspun.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 14 May 98 17:07:53 -0500
>A 100-ohm resistor can LOOK like 1K to the tube, because of the
>impedance-transforming properties of the inductances in the circuit.

I well, so you say....

Transmission lines, etc can act as impedance transformers.  This is the
whole idea behind phasing harnesses on antennas, 1/4 wave transformers,
etc.

However, a supressor is typically not any appreciable wavelength from the
anode.  So how can you say that it's impedance is transformed.  Even if
you do get say, 1 KOhm of impedance from all the inductances, that's NOT
a REAL resistance.  That is a reactance.  Reactances do not dissipate
power (at least not much); they store it.  So how does 50 to 100 Ohms of
REAL resistance get transformed to 1 KOhm.  I fail to see how that can
possibly happen.  IMHO, you would need a REAL resistance to absorb power.

Please enlighten me.

73,

Jon
KE9NA