[AMPS] Resonances

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Resonances
From: amps@txrx.demon.co.uk (Steve Thompson)
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 07:21:46 +0100
In message <v03102808b18142623f39@[128.165.62.204]>, John Lyles
<jtml@lanl.gov> writes
>Steve Thompson sez:
>>I had only a few moments before finishing today, but while I had the
>>network analyser on, I looked at a 100pF variable such as might be used
>>as an anode tuning cap - semi-circular vanes about 1.5" diameter,
>>spacing around .1"
>
>Are you using the smith chart or what? and is it calibrated (open, short,
>load) before all this. Otherwise all bets are off.

Ok John, for the record:

Yes, I was using the sith chart - it's how I think about all impedance
(and admittance) issues.

The analyser is a new 8714C, and I went throught he fulll open/short/50R
cal to the end of the probe I was using. I checked the 300R resistance
with a couple of chip resistors and leaded too. The R part is accurate.

I've been designing solid state PAs for a living for 20+ years, running
my own business for half that time.

Cheers, Steve