[AMPS] Backfires

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Backfires
From: pcmeas@hotmail.com (Arlen Mendelssohn)
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 22:45:57 PDT
>>Information that does not wash will backfire on its originator.  <<

This is not true if the discussions are kept to physical and scientific
principles and the parties involved can avoid ego competitions.  A very
intersting example can be seen in the Sring 1998 version of
Communications Quarterly wherein Mr. Warren Breune ably demolishes
claims by none other than Messrs Rauch, Maxwell (no, not THE Maxwell)
and Belrose without once resorting to name-calling or referring to other
theories they presented elsewhere, etc.

There is a method for making claims which refute claims of others, and
it is scientific.  Inventing mythical creatures such as the
Rauch-schnauzer is merely inflammatory and detracts from, rather than
adding to, true understanding.

I left amateur radio partially because of the ego battles that started
appearing on the air, when amateurs were apparently beginning to explore
exceeding the legal limit of (at the time) 1kW DC input.  Now, I gather
a lot more amateurs flaunt the now-1500 PEP output limit (roughly 2X the
limit of the fifties).  And, from this discussion, I gather the ego
battles are not contained on the airwaves.

A sad commentary on the direction in which this hobby has gone, but
nearly predictable from the events of the fifites.

Arlen