[AMPS] 4-1000A Configuration

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4-1000A Configuration
From: jono@webspun.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 98 09:04:07 -0500
OK all,

I've been unable to get a satisfactory answer on this question, so I'll
ask the whole reflector:

The other day, someone posted a question about wanting a schematic for a
grid driven 4-1000A.  This got me to thinking.  I am in the process of
completely rebuilding my 4-1000A amp so I was wondering what is the best
way to go.  Is the tube better in grounded grid configuration as I see
most 4-1000A schematics, or is it better in grid driven configuration?

I know that grid driven will give me more gain, but how much more?  What
about stability?  I've already seen stability problems in GG, so with
more gain and the lack of the neutralization inherent in a GG amp, am I
asking for trouble?

Now is a perfect time to make this decision as I am still working on
modifying the mechanics in the PA cabinet and have not started circuit
construction.

Thanks,

Jon
KE9NA