[AMPS] Need Millen HV connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Need Millen HV connectors
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 19:24:50 +0100
Bill Cotter wrote:
>I'm current involved in building a heavy duty power supply for my
>L4-B. While gathering parts, I've called the usual vendors looking
>for the male Millen HV connectors used on the Drake L4-B and other
>amps. The closest I have come to finding these was Surplus Sales of
>Nebraska who only had the chassis receptacle mate. They suggest
>using a banana plug (RIGHT ;^) Anyone out there know where I can
>purchase one or more? Or, is there a better alternative to change
>to on the L4-B RF deck?

Coax is much safer than single-wire B+ connectors because it makes an
automatic ground connection between the two chassis.

MHV connectors are supposed to be made for the job. They are a kind of
stretched BNC and will not mate with ordinary BNC. The bad news is that
it's the ground connection that will not mate: the B+ connection CAN.

Best of all for amateur voltage/current are SHV, if you can get them.
They look a bit like BNC/MHV but the inner connectors are reversed and
sunk deep inside, so they will not mate with anything else. They're
either extremely expensive (SSofN) or else they're dirt cheap because
nobody knows what they are.

You could run mains and an extra safety ground out to the external PSU
using something like a Jones connector, and the B-minus return in the
same cable. If you route the mains to the L$-B's internal transformer
through the same connector on the rear of the L4-B, you could go back to
normal anytime by just inserting a bare jumpered plug.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek