[AMPS] 3-500Z 101

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3-500Z 101
From: KF0FX@aol.com (KF0FX@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:22:24 EDT
This may seem like a real basic question but keep in mind -- I write software
for a living.

As I increase the drive to my SB-221 (2x3-500Z), there is a fairly linear
relationship between input drive power and output power UNTIL I reach a magic
point where the output doesn't increase as fast (gain decreases) and the grid
current rises dramatically.  Prior to this point, the grid current only goes
up slightly with increased RF drive.  My question is, why?  What causes the
grid current to go up and what is this telling me?  The amplifier has a gain
(<500 watts out) of about 15 at 40 & 80 meters.  At more than 800 watts, the
gain decreases and it is difficult to get more output power.

Comments are appreciated!!

73's
Chris, KF0FX
KF0FX@aol.com