[AMPS] Knight T-175 Linear Amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Knight T-175 Linear Amp
From: w3am@juno.com (w3am@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 01:49:36 -0700
Pete:

What you've got there is one of the great 'ol time CB linears, sold under
cover of being a 10M & 6M ham amp.  I knew quite a few CB'ers back in the
late 60's and early 70's that used them.  (Back when CB'ers used call
signs and had licenses!)  I've yet to meet an actual ham that used one.
The amp was considered to be a slight cut above the usual sweep tube
junk, in that it was one of the very few amps in that class that had
variable grid bias so you could set it for AB1.  Of course, if you did
that with AM you had to beef up the cooling air and talk quickly!  Back
then the 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off rule protected the sweep tubes more
than anything else.  The tubes are indeed in parallel and run with an AC
grounded control grid, with a variable DC bias supply attached.  The
screen and suppressor are directly grounded for "triode" operation.

I have a schematic, operation and assembly manual for it if you need a
copy.

73,
Gary
===========================
       W3AM  -   Gary Blau
         w3am@juno.com
  http://www.qsl.net/w3am/
===========================

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998 17:23:06 -0400 PETER K CENCER
<74727.1066@compuserve.com> writes:

>As a gift, I received a Knight T-175 Linear Amplifier.  I found it
>listed in an old 1969 Allied Radio Catalog.  It uses a pair of
>6JE6A's,
>connected in parallel.  It was intended for 6 & 10 meter operation,
>300
>Watt output SSB, 150W CW, & 120W AM.  Any others out there and still
>in
>use?
>
>What has me puzzled is its published Class of operation: B(2) grounded
>grid, triode connected.  However, my reference books list Class B as
>push-pull.  Am I reading them wrong?  Any insight or comments?  They
>would be appreciated.
>
>Pete Whisky Ate Rough Tough Ugly W8RTU
>

>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]