[AMPS] Yes, sweep tubes are still made.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Yes, sweep tubes are still made.
From: nospam4me@juno.com (Skip S Isaham)
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 14:33:54 EDT
Re: my previous sweep tube amplifier post.

Thanks for all the nice direct replies folks. I expected some heat for
such a taboo subject [no handle tubes, and glass at that].

To answer an often asked question, yes there are sweep tubes still made.
A practical approach for the vintage application would be the Svetlana
EL-509 and similar. There is a Dentron conversion on their web page like
the one I mentioned I'd do last year. It takes the Dentron GLA-1000x from
6LQ6's to the EL-509
Svetlana also has a few other similar "sweep tubes" of different specs.

The only bad thing is the price, these babies are starting to get really
expensive again, so they'll scare off the timid pocketbook types. So,
with poor sales, maybe they'll fade away again, but I would hope not.

I still plan to finish my GLA-1000 conversion as I have two now. I have a
few other upgrades left off the mentioned article that really do need to
be added to the GLA-1000x to make it worth keeping.
It's just that old time thing again.

In regards to the class of operation.   Depends on how the amp is set up.
Most are AB1 in design and AB2 in operation. One thing I'll have to
review is the paperwork for the super cathode driven design in regards to
what it's operation is considered.

thanks again
73's

skip  wv6f
nospam4me@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]