[AMPS] high voltage fuses

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] high voltage fuses
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:05:10 +0100
I have used (very successfully) a length of 40 gauge enamelled wire about 6
inches long  between two ceramic insulators. If it arcs, it rapidly falls to
the bottom of the cabinet, and there's no tube for it to splatter onto and
continue to arc. Relying on the contactors is all very well, but there's a
lot of energy in the filter cap to discharge. I use the 'fuse' and a 50 ohm
100 watt wirewound in series. The only time the fuse has blown was when had
thw high voltage lead short because I hadn't put the plug on properly.

73

Peter G3RZP