[AMPS] Re High Voltage fuses

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re High Voltage fuses
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 98 11:49:56 -0800

>Thanks for all the ideas that came in on this.  An objection I had to
>installing a HV fuse was that in case a flashover occured right when
>that rare DX came in, the down time becomes intolerable. A scheme that
>allows fast recovery to get back on the air quickly is the only way to
>go. I find it a scary thought to replace a HV fuse in a hurry!

A correctly sized "glitch" resistor does not need to be replaced after an
"event".  A HV fuse may not prevent gold-sputtering damage to the grid of
the tube from VHF parasites.  {see photos in September 1990, QST}

>I am making my project enclosure completely air tight, and the only air
>inlets are via fine air filters in order to lessen the chances for
>external arcs on the tube anodes due to foreign particles passing thru.
>
>Dave Kirby mentioned that a proper HV fuse in the DC output will reduce
>the amount of energy dumped by the HV power supply to the flashover.

Limiting peak current discharge current is quite probably more important,
and a fuse  isn't fast enuff.

>There is a slow realiziation on my part to recognize this. Yes indeed,
>saving on the cost of a HV fuse could be false economy!  This fuse
>lowers the chances of damaging an expensive PA tube in a flashover.

If a tube flashes over it has a gas problem.  Gas does not vanish unless
the tube is equipped with a built-in ion pump.

>Hey Dave, that is a serious PA you are building!  Please tell us more about
>it sometime.
>
>Peter Chadwick's experience with the #40 string of wire for a fuse
>sounds interesting, relying on gravity to break up the arc. A similar
>idea was suggested by Mark Wilson in the ARRL handbook although I dont
>see any evidence that Mark actually tried it.

HV fuse elements are typically surrounded by fine silica sand, contained
by a sturdy insulated tube.  The sand quenches the metal-vapour arc as
the fuse attempts to interrupt the flow of current.

>So I think I will appraise the cost of my PA tubes and then decide which
>method of protection to use.

If one has a lifetime free-supply of tubes, one can safely leave out the
"glitch" resistor.

Rich...