[AMPS] Re SSB power

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re SSB power
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 08:07:49 +0100
Alexander Samson wrote:
>Message text written by Jon Ogden
>
>> I once made the same comment between 1KW and 1.5KW and you
>> should have seen the comments! Yes, they say, it DOES make a
>> difference. I don't buy it though.<
>
>I think the eme guys DO count their gains by decimals of a db.  Look at
>the website of AF9Y for more info.  He has digital recordings of actual
>eme received signals you can download from the website and playback on
>your PC. You be the judge.

My RadCom column for August summarizes an earlier discussion on the same
topic, here on AMPS a few months ago.

The closer you come to the margin between success and failure, as in
EME, the more every decibel matters. It isn't guaranteed to make the
difference, but it does tip the odds a little in your favor.

On EME you're "competing" with predictable noise levels, so the
difference often shows. On HF the competition is mostly QRM and that is
more unpredictable, so the effect is less easy to see... but it's still
there.

BTW, G0MJW points out that the standard rate of UK income tax is 1.14dB.
A lot of people care about reducing that loss!

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek