[AMPS] technical help...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] technical help...
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 98 13:58:55 -0500

>Ladies and Gents;
>I am in the process of up-grading my station after more than 10 yrs of
>extensive TDYs and no operating.  I have a Henry 3K-A which I am trying
>to understand more about in an effort to be more efficient...and
>quieter (sp)!!  The clackity-clack of the relay in the amp is a pain in
>the...during contests.  I am about to purch. a new 1000mp and am
>interested in QSK.

Steve,

Rich Measures told you to look at his website.  I'd suggest it too.  He's
got a really nice semi-QSK circuit that you can build for less than
$50.00.  It's very quiet and gives you a switching time of less than 2ms
which is faster than most xcvrs.  If you decided to build, it let me know
as I have a couple of hints and kinks for it as well.

I built one of these and it works really, really well.

Of course, if you want to go really big time, you can buy the PIN diode
add on from Ameritron, but that sucker costs about $300.00.  Of course,
it will give you nearly instantaneous switching and be completely silent.
 But it's not cheap and probably lossier than the mechanical circuit Rich
has.

Hope this helps.

73,

Jon