[AMPS] 8908 sweep tubes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 8908 sweep tubes
From: nospam4me@juno.com (Skip S Isaham)
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 00:21:50 EDT
Jim,
The only mfgr I've seen make the 8908 was GE. It was a short lived higher
that average 8908 for RF service.  Made along similar lines as the 8950.
I have an old Palomar mobile "HF" amplifier that uses a pair in grounded
grid service. When they die, that's pretty much it. Before I picked up
the amp, I'd never seen the tube and haven't seen any for sale since.
Although miss-placed, I even saw and have a data sheet for the tube
somewhere.
Another company making CB amplifiers (wa, wa, see electronics) made an
amplifier called a "modulator" using the 8908...

:I recently picked up a pair of 8908 tubes at a ham fest.  The tubes are
:labeled with a
:Hygain label.  My ARRL handbooks do not list these tubes.  Does any one
have
:specs for them.  I am wondering if they might be adaptable to a old SWAN
500
:that I have lying around.
:TNX ES 73
:Jim Zellmer, KA0VSL

My choice for the Swan would be a pair of New Old Stock tubes. You could
retro them up to a pair of the newer Svetlana EL-509 tubes, but the price
on them has gone up and out the window as of late. This makes NOS tubes
more cost effective and much easier to do...
Otherwise, watch the flea markets.
73's
skip

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]