[AMPS] L7 now working, have ops question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] L7 now working, have ops question
From: Steve_Jackson@BayNetworks.COM (Steve Jackson)
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 16:07:28 -0400
Pete

Thanks for responding.  The 'peak' power I was referring to was me whistling!
The plate current meter in the Drake won't respond to voice peaks.  I should
have provided CW test readings.  My bad.

Still, though, if the thing is drawing, say, 750 mA for 'real' on peaks, times
2650, that is almost 2 kW input, which is the manufacturer's spec on the amp.
.... and I get 1100 watts out...

So, that is 55% efficient, if you don't count the driver power or filaments.
I guess that is not too bad.  I just wish it had another few hundred watts to
'overcome feedline losses.'  ;-)

Maybe somebody knows of a transformer that is the same form factor as the
stock
unit, but which puts out another 300 Volts.  That'd get me almost 3 kV, times
750 mA, times 55%... just over 1300 watts, if you add in the exciter power.

Probably not worth it.  Gotta save the $$ for a Titan II or a Command box.
Wish
the ceramic bottles didn't have such a long warm-up period, that's why I like
the 3-500Z.

73  Steve KZ1X/4

* * *