[AMPS] 4-1000A amp design

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4-1000A amp design
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 98 14:06:05 -0500

>One very important fact in the stability of the 4-1000A amp in "grounded
>grid"
>is to use the plastic Eimac socket and run the 3 grid connections through the
>side slits in the socket to chassis ground. This requires only about a 3/4
>inch long lead.  I use copper strap about 3/16 inch wide. If you USE the tab
>connections  hanging down from this socket and run connections to the chassis
>you have an increased lead length of about 2 inches more. This additional
>lead
>length AND the use of the aluminum socket yielding about the same lead length
>will cause a large amount of hair pulling in trying to stabalize the
>amplifier.

This all depends on wether or not you are using parasitic supressors and
fuse resistors in the grid leads.  Also, it is sometimes helpful to
actually ADD a little inductance in the screen so as to move the screen
resonance.  I've seen this in at least one publication and in comments
from folks here on the reflector.

And yes, I use the plastic socket.  I've heard all sorts of bad things
about the aluminum one.

73,

Jon
KE9NA