[AMPS] testing tubes in place

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] testing tubes in place
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 98 02:18:40 -0800

>Thanks a huge bunch for all the helpful comments about testing the 3cx800
>tubes in my Alpha 89 for full output.
>
>One of the most interesting comments was to test each tube individually.
> I don't know how to test one tube at a time.

The first test I perform is with a high-pot. tester.  I measure current
leakage between the anode and the grid at double the rated anode
potential.  More than c.10uA indicates a problem that could damage a
healthy amplifier.   If the leakage is equal with both polarities, the
tube probably has a leaky seal.  If the positive pol. leakage is greater
than the negative pol. leakage, gold-sputtering damage is indicated.

>Can I take one tube out of the RF deck and run the amp on one tube? What do
>I have to disconnect or reconfigure to do this.

With one tube, the tank operating Q will be c. double.  Do not exceed
600mA per cathode in N-Zero-N operation.  The open socket should be
blocked with a chunk of urethane foam to maintain air pressure.

Rich...