[AMPS] resonance

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] resonance
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 12:47:12 +0100
John, NS1Z, says

>I'll concede the pi is back to back Ls but, if it is not resonant at the
>operating frequency, what is it that everyone is tuning it to....

Firstly, it depends on how you define resonance. When the Q is low, then it
matters very much which definition you use. The one that is useful when
applied to all circuits is that the voltage and current at the input are in
phase.

Especially if there is ANY load reactance, then that's different from the
sum of the inductive reactances being equal to the sum of the capacitive
reactances.

So Rich could be right, or he could be wrong, depending on how you look at
it.

This time, I agree with him.

73

Peter G3RZP